Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Rotoworld's Predictions on the '09 FA Starting Pitchers

Matthew Pouliot's "Strike Zone" column predicts destinations and contracts for the outstanding class of free agent starting pitchers this off season.

He has Braden Looper coming to the Nationals for 3 years and $21 million. I don't have an opinion yet on Looper specifically, but as I've said before I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the team dip into this second tier of free agent starting pitchers to replace Perez.

5 comments:

traderkirk said...

Ughhhhh. We'd be better off giving the $7m (or the whole $21) to Strasburg.

A classic case of a guy who will fall off a cliff the minute he leaves Dave Duncan and St. Louis.

Exactly the WRONG move. I'd be way happier making a play for Ben Sheets. At least he will give you 20 great starts a year for your money. And I am sure the Lerner's will not do that . . . pay a guy who's hurt not in their nature.

Steven said...

Like I said, I would need to look closer to have an opinion on Looper, but don't forget that free agency = old, declining players who no one bothered to lock up long term in the first place. There are very, very few winning pieces available there.

Rob said...

what about Sabathia?

Steven said...

no chance.

test said...

Article also mentions Isringhausen (sp) as a possible free agent closer, plus one other free agent.