Monday, June 14, 2010

Ran into a Phillies Fan Yesterday

I out and about yesterday and I bumped into a couple all decked out in his-and-hers Phillies attire. Someone else said, "Phillies fans, eh?" They said, "yeah, it's been a rough few weeks for us." And someone else said, "At least you're not Nationals fans." And everyone laughed. Someone else piled in with a tired old story about how they went to a game at Nationals Park that had more Phillies fans than Nationals fans. Everyone was still laughing.

That's where the story usually ends, with me stewing, everyone else laughing. But this time I piped in with, "Just wait till you get Strasburg. He's going to blow you guys away."

And the Phillies fans said, "oh man, you're right--that guy is scary." No one was laughing. Someone asked when's the next time he's pitching. The conversation eventually went off in another direction, but not before everyone said something about how awesome Strasburg is.

That, my friends, is why Strasburg changes everything.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is why I wanted Strasburg (or some other Nats player) to pick James Brown's "The Big Payback" as their opening music. I know that it's too egotistical for a ballplayer, but Strasburg is the first guy that allows us to take some names and even some scores.

Nice post.